Answers to your Pharmacy questions

Base Info

Answers to your Pharmacy questions

by: Commentary by Capt. Shaoping Mo, 51st Medical Support Squadron Pharmacy Flight commander | .
published: October 05, 2013

OSAN AIR BASE, Republic of Korea -- Have you ever wondered what your pharmacy can do for you? The pharmacy staff is proud to be part of the 51st Medical Support Squadron and we are honored to serve each and every one of you here at Osan.

Our goal is to help you with all your medication needs and we are always happy to answer any questions you might have. Some frequently asked questions are below:

Q: I just moved here from my previous base and my medications are running out. Can I just show up and get them filled at the pharmacy? If not, what do I do?

A: All you have to do is come by the pharmacy and fill out a prescription transfer request form. Our pharmacists will communicate with a pharmacist from your previous base to get the prescriptions transferred. It usually takes three to five business days for the process due to the time difference. If you are completely out of your medication or about to run out, we can provide you a few day supplies until your prescription is transferred. Please bring in your old prescription bottles to the pharmacy with you. However if your medication is one of the controlled items such as Ambien, Lortab, Restoril, we will not be able to provide any temporary supply for you as it is against the federal law to do so.

Q: I have a runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, and a headache, but I can't get an appointment until next week or so. What do I do?

A: Well, we might have just what you need in our Self-Initiate Care Kit (SICK) program. Through this program, you may request up to three over-the-counter (OTC) medications per month from the 51st MDG pharmacy using a SICK medication request form. These OTC medications include: Adult Tylenol, Children's Tylenol liquid, Sudafed, Robitussin DM Syrup, Cepacol Lozenges, Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl, Saline Nasal Spray, Mucinex, Hydrocortisone 1 percent cream, and Bacitracin ointment. TRICARE beneficiaries 18 years and older are eligible to participate in the SICK program independently. Parents and legal guardians of prime enrollees under 18 years of age may provide care for their children using this program. Pregnant women, fliers, and Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) personnel are not eligible to participate in the SICK program. Furthermore, SICK medications are only available for children over the age of four. If your child is under the age of four, please see the child's medical provider for treatment advice.

Q: How do I get my medications refilled?

A: We recommend you call the automated refill line at 784-2186, or commercially at 031-661-2186, which is available 24/7. Your refill will be ready for pick-up after 10 a.m. the next duty day. When using the refill line, you will need the last four digits of your sponsor's social security number and the numeric portion of your prescription number. This number is located right above your name on the prescription bottle label. If at any point you are having problems using the refill line, please do not hesitate to call the pharmacy and talk to one of our friendly staff to call in your refills directly.

Q: Are my off-base prescriptions accepted at the Osan Pharmacy?

A: We do accept written prescriptions from off-base providers if the medication is on our formulary and it is not a controlled item. We kindly require additional time to process the prescriptions because most of the time off-base prescriptions are written in Korean.

The 51st MDG Pharmacy hours are Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., but is closed on weekends, family days and federal holidays. Additionally, the pharmacy will close at noon on the third Thursday of every month for military readiness training. Please give us a call at 784-2185 or commercially at 031-661-2185 if you have any questions or concerns.

Tags: Base Info
Related Content: No related content is available