Healthy Menu Recipes: Hearty sweet potato chili
A delicious chili that uses tomato paste for that cooked-for-hours depth of flavor, sweet potatoes for a sweet heartiness, and cumin for that earthy, smokey spice.
Prep Time 5 min
Cook Time 40 min
Total Time45 min
• 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced small
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1 green bell pepper, cleaned and diced
• 1 clove of garlic, minced
• 2 tbsp chili powder
• 3 tbsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp maple syrup
• 2 tsp paprika
• salt and pepper to taste
• ½ cup of water
• 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 can of diced tomatoes
• 1 can of tomato paste
1. In a pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Add sweet potatoes and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt; stir and cook for about a minute.
5. Add water and bring to a simmer until the sweet potato is tender; about 7-9 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, black beans, and maple syrup; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
7. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
8. Remove from heat, top with your favorite garnish, and enjoy.
Red or white onions
Pico de gallo
Salsa (both red or green)
Vegan sour cream or yogurt
Fresh lime juice
Raw sweet corn
By Simone Blaise for blissfuleating.com