Navy Announces TERA Application Update


Navy Announces TERA Application Update

by: Chief of Naval Personnel Public Affairs | .
U.S. Navy | .
published: May 31, 2012

 WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Navy announced revisions to Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) application procedures in a message released May 29.

According to NAVADMIN 168/12 applications for TERA must be submitted with command endorsement by the applicant's Command Career Counselor (CCC) instead of by the local Personnel Support Detachment.

CCC must enter program code "E" to identify the application as a TERA request.

Applications must be submitted to Navy Personnel Command (NPC) no later than June 15, 2012. Applicants may check the status of their application through

Additionally the Public and Community Service (PACS) program registry requirement announced in the initial TERA application procedure message has been eliminated. TERA retirees are not required to register for PACS. Provisions from NAVADMIN 140/12 not referenced in the new message remain in effect and eligible members should consult both messages when applying.

Navy authorized TERA for Sailors considered but not selected for retention by the Fiscal Year 2012 Enlisted Retention Board (ERB) who will have completed at least 15 years of active service as of Sept. 1, and whose active duty service date (ADSD) is Sept. 2, 1997 or earlier.

Eligible Sailors desiring to apply for early retirement under TERA, whose current expiration of active obligated service (EAOS) as extended, or "soft" EAOS, is prior to Sept. 1, may submit a short term extension request to NPC, as outlined in the NAVADMIN 140/12.

Sailors retiring under TERA will not be entitled to involuntary separation pay, but remain qualified for other ERB-related transition assistance benefits until their retirement.

Eligible ERB Sailors who were discharged on or after Dec. 31, 2011, and were unable to complete an application for early retirement under TERA while on active duty may petition the Board for Correction of Naval Records if retirement is desired.

For more information, read NAVADMIN 140/12 and 168/12, visit NPC's transition assistance Web page at, or contact the NPC customer service center at or 1-866-U-ASK-NPC.

For more news from Chief of Naval Personnel, visit

Tags: News
Related Content: No related content is available