Recipe Swap: Strawberry bruschetta
We're excited to have a guest contributor to our ongoing Recipe Swap series. Louise McKernan's offers a quick and simple recipe for really tasty Strawberry Bruschetta. It's a great twist on an old world recipe sure to please even the finickiest (and young-at-heart) eaters.
Hi, I saw your posting about submitting a recipe. Here’s a family favorite - Strawberry Bruschetta. :)
Louise McKernan, Okinawa
- French bread (sliced, ¼ inch thick)
- 1 container of strawberries; coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (or 1 tsp lemon zest)
- 1 container (8 oz) cream cheese spread
- ½ cup powdered sugar
Optional: additional powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice french bread on a slant & place slices on stone or cookie sheet. Melt butter and brush butter over bread slices with pastry brush. Mix granulated sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle evenly over bread slices. Bake 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice/zest until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture over bread slices, and then top with coarsely chopped strawberries.
Optional: sprinkle bruschetta with powdered sugar.
Holidays: to dress it up for the holidays, add thin strips of basil atop for a red/green effect
Serve immediately :)
Kay Blakley is a busy working wife and mother of three. She depends on the commissary to provide the means to meet everyday challenges we all face to provide affordable family meals that are tasty, nutritious as well as quick and easy to prepare.
Hot Crab Dip
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pound fresh lump crab meat, picked over
- Combine mayonnaise, 3/4 cup cheese, seafood seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and ground mustard; fold in crab meat. Spoon mixture into 1-quart casserole and top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle with a dash of seafood seasoning.
- Bake in 350 degree oven 12-15 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble around edges. Serve with assorted crackers and/or pita chips.
Yields: 24 (2 tablespoon) servings
Hot Ham Asparagus Roll Ups
- 1 package crescent rolls
- 8 slices spiral ham
- 8 whole asparagus spears
- Open package of crescent roll dough and unroll crescent rolls.
- Layer on a piece of ham cut to fit the dough. Lay asparagus spear at top of roll and trim to fit.
- Roll up and bake according to package directions.
Yields: 6 - 8 servings
Hot Spinach Spread
- 5 to 6 green onions, chopped with some green
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Pepper to taste
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped black olives, drained
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped jalapeno peppers, drained
- 2 regular tomatoes or 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch round baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine onions, spinach, cheese, sour cream and cream cheese until well blended. Stir in the vinegar and pepper. Add the drained olives and jalapeno peppers.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared baking dish and bake for 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Top with diced tomatoes and serve with tortilla chips or rounds of your choice.
Recipe Swap courtesy of Defense Commissary Agency