US military to cut 245 S. Korean jobs as forces move south
SEOUL, South Korea — The U.S. military will cut about 245 South Korean jobs by the end of September as garrisons shrink with the long-delayed relocation of most forces to new hubs south of Seoul, officials said.
The Army’s installation management command announced the reduction in force for Yongsan, Red Cloud and Camp Casey — the main bases in the capital and near the border with North Korea — last week in a memorandum to the Korean Employees’ Union for U.S. Forces Korea.
South Korean civilians fill most of the maintenance, service and other support jobs on U.S. military garrisons as required by the status of forces agreement between the two countries. The South Korean government shoulders most of the local labor costs, but the salaries are distributed by the Americans.
The March 29 memorandum, which was signed by deputy Yongsan garrison commander Steven Ryan, said the bases “are required to reduce Korean National (KN) positions as a result of consolidation to one command,” effective Sept. 30. It said it was giving a six-month notice in accordance with the SOFA.
Read more at: https://www.stripes.com/1.521219