Commissary sales promotions highlight back-to-school, football, Oktoberfest events in September
FORT LEE, Va. – Worldwide back-to-school sidewalk sales and promotions linked to football season, Oktoberfest and other events will offer commissary shoppers opportunities for significant savings in September.
“As we head into the start of football season and school academics, we want commissary customers to know we’re offering plenty of promotions to help them save money and maximize their benefit,” said Tracie Russ, the Defense Commissary Agency’s director of sales. “September will literally be a festival of savings.”
Throughout September, commissaries will offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Patrons are also advised to check their stores’ “end of the aisle” for themed items with extra low pricing. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store for details or visit their store page to verify what’s available at their particular store. Here are a few areas to consider for commissary savings:
- Back-to-school sidewalk sales events will continue as scheduled at many commissaries worldwide. Patrons can check DeCA’s website for the date and times for their locally held back-to-school sidewalk sale. This sale offers club pack items, cases of your favorite cereals and bottled water, and more.
- Exclusive savings on turkeys. Beginning in September, commissaries worldwide will offer limited weekly quantities of frozen turkeys at 49 cents a pound for patrons who want to get a jump on saving for their holiday meals. Weekly available quantities of frozen turkeys are expected to increase closer to Thanksgiving.
- Smithfield VIP Race Day Experience Sweepstakes will be offered at stateside commissaries from Sept. 1 to Oct. 7. The grand prize is a trip – including travel, accommodations and race tickets – to a VIP Race Experience, where the winner will meet NASCAR driver Aric Almirola. Commissary patrons can enter for a chance to win with the purchase of any three or more Smithfield products in a single transaction, and a photo of their receipt texted with keyword “DECA” to 82257. There will also be 15 first prize winners who will receive one $50 commissary gift card. See in-store displays for details.
- Back-to-School/Labor Day Free Groceries. Sept. 1-23, Kraft Heinz Company will be giving away eight prizes worldwide of $2,500 each in commissary gift cards. No purchase necessary. Check your local commissary for more details.
- Although the “real” Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany, runs from late September until early October, patrons can go to their local commissary for the products to host their own parties. Worldwide commissary promotions on German products include chocolates, cookies, sauerkraut, mustard, red cabbage, rich German coffee and more.
- AXE “Back-to-School” Sweepstakes. From Sept.1-15, commissary patrons worldwide have the opportunity to enter to win many prizes, including commissary gift cards, Apple MacBooks, iPads, iPods and Apple gift cards. There will be more than 90 prizes awarded. Look for AXE shower gel and deodorant and hair care product displays in your local commissary.
- Monster Jam Celebration. From Sept. 24 to Oct. 7, commissaries worldwide will feature a P&G, USO, and Operation Homefront promotion with coupon savings up to $188. The stateside commissary with the best promotional display during this timeframe and which achieves the highest sales, will win an on-base Monster truck celebration that includes Monster trucks and drivers, Monster truck simulator, Monster Jam Activity Stations for children and free ticket giveaways for Monster truck events. Promotional prizes are also available for overseas locations. Check your local commissary for details.
The DeCA website is a great place to plan your shopping trip, Russ said. Information on everything from commissary brands, items listed in the Your Everyday Savings (YES!) program, digital coupons linked to the Commissary Rewards Card, featured discount items, sidewalk sales, the sales flyer, and exclusive savings and coupons can be found right here.
“In addition to our everyday savings, we offer informative health and wellness details on our products’ shelf tags through the Nutrition Guide program, as well as quick, healthy dietitian-approved recipe suggestions found at the end of the grocery aisles,” Russ said. “And don’t forget to clip your Commissary Rewards Card coupons before visiting your commissary to obtain even more savings on our already low prices.”
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!