Fire safety is everyone's business

Fire safety is everyone's business

by U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan
U.S. Army

People are at a greater risk of fire in the winter season. Cold weather means cranking up heat, including the use of space heaters and electric blankets, all of which can spark fires. Moreover, the dry and cold winter air makes it easier for the fire to spread quickly.

Last Thursday Feb.1, a space heater caused fire in a container near the Yongsan Commissary, causing more than 20,000 dollars of loss. Please be aware of the safety tips of using flammable electronic devices and here are some tips!

1. Keep anything that can burn, including bedding, furniture, and curtains at least 3 feet away from a space heater.

2. Turn off space heaters when going to bed or leaving a room.

3. Don't use a space heater in a damp or wet area unless it's specifically made for that purpose.

4. Never put a space heater on a countertop unless it's specifically designed for it.

5. Don't use gas- or oil-burning space heaters indoors, only outdoors or in spaces open to the outdoors like tents or porches.

However, it is not only the electronic devices that cause fire during winter, always stay alert!

Have a safe and warm winter!

Fire safety is everyone's business!!!

Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!

Follow us on social media!

Facebook: Stars and Stripes Pacific
Flipboard: Stars and Stripes Community Sites

Looking to travel while stationed abroad? Check out our other Pacific community sites!
Stripes Japan
Stripes Okinawa
Stripes Guam

Recommended Content