Recipe: Crab cakes & salad with avocado dressing
In the past, Americans were advised to limit their intake of cholesterol in order to prevent and treat heart disease. As a result, certain types of seafood high in cholesterol, like crab and shrimp, were avoided. However, research has now proven that dietary cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol levels and its intake does not increase the risk of heart disease. To build a healthy eating pattern, barring any food allergies, fish and shellfish should be included in your diet. This meal shows how canned crabmeat is conveniently used to meet the USDA weekly fish and shellfish consumption recommendations. These quick crab cakes served alongside a leafy green salad are even company worthy!
Directions (Serves: 4):
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 large egg, 2 ½ tbsp. mayonnaise, 2 tsp. seafood seasoning, and 2 - 3 tbsp. of very finely minced onion. Wisk the items together until the egg is well blended.
2. Add to the mixture: 3 tbsp. of panko crumbs and 12 oz. of crabmeat that has been drained and flaked (gently broken apart). Gently fold ingredients together.
3. Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Quickly form 4 equal sized crab patties.
4. Add the patties to the oil and cook each side until lightly - golden browned (about 3-4 minutes on each side).
5. Remove the patties from the pan and let rest on a paper-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
6. Quickly toss together, 10 - 12 oz. bag of mixed salad greens with 2 celery stalks, sliced, ½ cup dried fruit, chopped (use your favorite, like raisins, cranberries, blueberries, etc.). Peel and mash 1 avocado, mix with 1-2 tbsp. vinegar (balsamic works best) and 2 tbsp. olive oil, and then drizzle and toss into the leafy green mix.
7. Serve each plate with 1 crab cake and 1/4 the leafy salad. Tips: Try serving the crab cake on a whole wheat bun. Spice things up by adding a little hot sauce. To make the cakes a bit fluffier, whisk 1 egg white until soft peaks form and fold the egg white into the mix in step 2.
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!