Speakin’ Korean: Counter words
- gae - “things” Gae is probably the most important counter word since it can be used when you really don’t know which counting word is the proper one to use.
- myeong - people (informal)
- sa ram - person (casual)
- bun - people (polite), (If you use pure Korean you are counting people but if you use Sino-Korean you are counting minutes)
- mari - animals
- gwa - chapters / lessons (If you use pure Korean (tasot gwa) you are counting the chapters or lessons. But if you are using Sino-Korean (Oh gwa) you will be giving the number of the chapter/ lesson
- dae - vehicles (cars, airplanes) and machinery
- gweon - books
- cheok - boats and ships
- chae - houses
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!