Hanok restaurants in Seoul: Châtaigne
A hanok is a traditional Korean house that is well-made and is beautiful without the use of additional adornments. Hanok buildings have an open garden and lots of windows, allowing for plenty of natural sunlight and air to reach its occupants, which helps create a relaxed and peaceful ambience. In the following column, we introduce some of the best restaurants in Seoul that operate in traditional hanok buildings.
Châtaigne means chestnut in French, and though small, this elegant hanok restaurant focuses on a minimal French dining experience. Châtaigne is becoming more popular thanks to their great food, beautiful decorations and friendly service.
At the restaurant, the chef and customers can interact intimately as the floor plan is quite open. As soon as they enter, visitors are delighted by the contrast of modern and classical features. Trendy light fixtures built on top of traditional hanok rafters is one such feature and they add to the relaxing atmosphere that makes Châtaigne a wonderful choice for any special occasion.
The staff here is very attentive, and the chef pours wine for the guests and explains the dishes himself. Make sure to book in advance to have an unforgettable meal in a hanok at Châtaigne.
- Address: 19 Samcheong-ro 5-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul
- Hours: 12:00-22:00
- Menu: French course meal, wine and more.
- Directions: Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3) Exit 1. Walk straight from the exit for about 430 m and turn right onto Samcheong-ro. Walk 650 m and veer right onto Palpan-gil. Then, turn left onto Samcheong-ro 5-gil and the restaurant will be on your left.
- Inquiries: +82-2-736-5385 (Korean, English, Japanese, French)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
Photo courtesy of Châtaigne
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!