Hanok restaurants in Seoul: Min's Club
A hanok is a traditional Korean house that is well-made and is beautiful without the use of additional adornments. Hanok buildings have an open garden and lots of windows, allowing for plenty of natural sunlight and air to reach its occupants, which helps create a relaxed and peaceful ambience. In the following column, we introduce some of the best restaurants in Seoul that operate in traditional hanok buildings.
Min’s Club is located in an alley in Insa-dong, an area that has a strong traditional Korean atmosphere. This restaurant was remodeled from the home of Min Byeong-ok, a relative of Empress Myeongseong (1851-1895). Since it has historical significance, the restaurant may be more interesting to international visitors. Min Byeong-ok’s residence was a new type of hanok when it was originally built to replace the western clubs which were popular in 1900s.
Now a restaurant, Min’s Club serves fusion cuisine and wine in an atmosphere that mixes both old and new. With its spacious garden and high walls, Min’s Club’s exterior remains traditional, while its interior is styled like a western residence. With an outdoor terrace and four indoor rooms, Min’s Club offers different moods to match the customer’s preference. Also, the harmony of East and West is just as prominent in the food as is it is in the hanok building. The restaurant provides unique fusion cuisines such as tteok-galbi steak, cheese and winter black truffle risotto and more. Min’s Club comes highly recommended for those who are curious about the moment when East met West in Korea.
- Address: 23-9,Insa-dong 10-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul
- Hours: 12:00–23:00 (Break time: 16:00–18:00)
- Menu: Fusion Korean, tteok-galbi steak and more.
- Directions: Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3) Exit 5. Walk straight from the exit for about 220 meters and turn right onto Insadong 10-gil. Then, turn right at the second alley. The restaurant will be ahead on the left.
- Inquiries: +82-2-733-2966 (Korean, English)
- 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)
Photo courtesy of Min's Club (top & bottom left)
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!