Korean dessert cafe: Haap Cafe
Haap Café: Modern take on traditional Korean rice cakes
Haap Café is managed by chef Shin Yong-il, who is famous for modern transformations of traditional Korean snacks. The café offers a wide range of Korean-style desserts such as citron patbingsu, juak*, castella injeolmi*, and jeungpyeon. The customer favorites include patbingsu (shaved ice with sweetened red beans) and juak, which is a soft-textured, doughnut-like rice cake packed with a pleasant ginger flavor.
Castella injeolmi are tender rice cake balls coated in sweet sponge cake crumbs, soybean, black sesame, and more! They are also sold at Hyundai Department Store’s COEX and Apgujeong branches.
The steamed fermented rice cakes called jeungpyeon come in citron, red bean, mulberry, fig, and black tea flavors. Some additional flavors like tomato, chestnut, and olive are also available depending on the season. Individually packed in white wrapping paper with the café name “Haap (합/合)” written on it, a jeungpyeon also makes for an great souvenir gift. There is also a jeungpyeon gift set that can be purchased in a paulownia wood box or with cloth wrapping. Haap Café offers visitors a leisurely place to take a break with savory refreshments in the famed and ritzy Cheongdam-dong area.
*juak: a traditional snack made by mixing rice flour, wheat flour and makgeolli (rice wine), frying the mixture in oil, and coating it in honey.
*injeolmi: pounded rice cake dipped in crumbs
- Address: 10, Dosan-daero 61-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul
- Getting There: Apgujeong Rodeo Station (Bundang Subway Line), Exit 3 walk straight and take your second right at the gas station. Continue walking straight and the café will be on your left.
- Hours: 12 - 10 p.m. / Closed Lunar New Year’s Day, Chuseok, and every other Monday,
- Blog: http://www.haap01.com/ （Korean）
- Menu: Injeolmi 6,000 won, Jeungpyeon 2,000 won, Juak 2,000 won
- Nearby Attractions: Apgujeong Rodeo Street、 Cheongdamdong Street、Galleria Department Store
- Inquiries: +82-70-7532-4819
– COPYRIGHTS ©KOREA TOURISM ORGANIZATION.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED www.visitkorea.or.kr