Korean dessert cafe: Heedonga Ummada
Heedonga Ummada: A café popular for its cupcake-like rice cakes
A rice cake café that opened in 2010, Heedonga Ummada (also known as Heedonga, It’s Mom) is managed by Kim Hee-dong, who has a published rice cake recipe book. In order to serve the freshest tteok (rice cakes) to its customers, the café makes a set amount of desserts each day using only domestically produced ingredients.
The most popular menu item in this café is the “small tteok cake,” which resembles a cupcake at first glance, but is actually a soft and fluffy seolgi* with homemade filling. There are a variety of flavors including strawberry, chocolate, blueberry, bean flour, green tea, black sesame, black tea, mugwort, and sweet pumpkin. The cupcakes are wholesome and low in calories as the cream topping is made with red beans and the rice cakes are cooked using rice flour and water only. Milk based drinks pair well with these delicious and healthy rice cakes and are plentiful at the café as they serve chocolate milk, green tea milk, strawberry milk, and their most original flavor, wasabi milk.
*seolgi: a unique type of Korean rice cake that is made by steaming non-glutinous rice flour. Unlike glutinous rice cake, it does not have the typical gooey texture.
- Address: 29-4, Samcheong-ro 2-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul
- Getting There: Take the Jongno 11 Bus (종로 11번 마을버스) outside of Gwanghwamun Station Exit 2. Get off after 3 stops at the Samcheong Police Box (삼청파출소). Walk in the opposite direction of the bus, take your first left, and walk down this street until you see the Homestead Coffee. Turn right down the street across from Homstead Coffee and the Heedonga Ummada will be on your right (about a 4-minute walk).
- Hours： 12：00-21：00 / Closed Mondays, Lunar New Year’s Day and Chuseok
- Blog： http://www.heedonga.com/ （Korean）
- Menu： Small rice cake 5,200 won, Milk bingsu (shaved ice with sweetened red beans) 12,500 won, Chocolate milk 6,500 won
- Nearby Attractions： Samcheongdong-gil Road, Gyeongbokgung Palace
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!