Hobak Bokkeum – Fried Seasoned Zucchini
When planning to prepare a Korean meal with zucchini, there are many options. One is hobak jeon, a zucchini pancake, which is always tasty. Another option is gungjung tteokbokki, the royal ancestor of tteokbokki, which is a spicy, warm rice cake stew.
Finally, hobak bokkeum is a simple dish that has several uses: you can either serve it on the spot as a side dish or you can add it as an ingredient to bibimbap.
1 medium zucchini (about 10-12 ounces)
1 tablespoon grapeseed, rice bran or high-heat oil (non-GMO)
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 scallion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
1. Slice zucchini thinly.
2. Heat a pan with the grapeseed oil over medium-high heat.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, creating a sauce.
4. Add the zucchini to the skillet and cook for one to two minutes.
5. Add the sauce and cook for one to two more minutes, stirring well until the zucchini is softened and turns translucent.
6. Drizzle with sesame oil before serving.