Pedal your way through nature on Railbikes!
Pedal your way through nature on Railbikes!
You can enjoy Korea’s beautiful nature and an exciting activity all in one! Railbiking is a popular leisure sport that uses bikes and railroads specially built for sightseeing. Hop on a railbike and pedal your way along the railroad tracks for the opportunity to get a light workout and enjoy wonderful landscapes of Korea at the same time. Read on for our recommended railbike facilities that capture the views of Korea’s mountains, oceans, and rivers.
Travel through forest and field
Conveniently located near Seoul, Gangchon Rail Park used to be a servicable train station but is now a railbike tourist attraction that connects two closed station platforms, Gimyujeong Station and Gangchon Station. In fall, follow the Gangchon railway to see colorful foliage of fields and forests. You will also pass through Bubble Tunnel and Musical Tunnel, and even see Bukhangang River along the way! The railbike track is approximately 6km long, with the remaining journey of 2.5km completed by the Romantic Train. When you arrive at Gangchon station, you can either move on to the next attraction or return to Gimyujeong Station by the free shuttle bus provided.
- Address: 1383, Gimyujeong-ro, Sindong-myeon, Chuncheon-si, Gangwon-do (강원도 춘천시 신동면 김유정로 1383 강촌레일파크 김유정역)
- Directions: Gimyujeong Station (Gyeongchun Line), Exit 1.
- Operating hours: Summer 09:00-17:30 / Winter 09:00-17:00 * Closes at 16:00 December-January / Hours are subject to change
- Fees: 2-seater bike 30,000 won / 4-seater bike 40,000 won (fee is per bike)
- Website: www.railpark.co.kr (Korean only)
Jeongseon Railbike has a relatively easy course without any uphill path except for the final 1km section. Follow the railroad tracks and relax as you pass by peaceful forests, beds of cosmos and golden fields of autumn. The Scenery Train will head out to the final stop once all the rail bikes on the railway arrive. All visitors who wish to return to the departing station can take the Scenery Train back for free.
- Address: 745, Nochusan-ro, Yeoryeang-myeon, Jeongseon-gun, Gangwon-do (강원도 정선군 여량면 노추산로 745 정선레일바이크)
- (Seoul→Jeongseon): Dong Seoul Bus Terminal → Jeongseon Intercity Bus Terminal (Adult fare 19,300 won / Travel time approx. 3hrs 20min)
- (Jeongseon Intercity Bus Terminal→Jeongseon Railbike): Approx. 30min by taxi
- Operating hours: Five departures daily (08:40, 10:30, 13:00, 14:50, 16:40) * Last departure not available November-February
- Fees: 2-seater bike 25,000 won / 4-seater bike 35,000 won (fee is per bike)
- Website: www.railbike.co.kr (Korean only)
If you are planning on visiting Jeonju Hanok Village, don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy Jeonju’s landscape at Jeonju Hanok Railbike, located only a 10-minute taxi ride away from the village. The railroad is 3.4km long roundtrip, with colorful railroad ties to excite visitors. The route begins as a gradual uphill course and continues until its turning point, allowing participants to enjoy a speedy ride on their returning journey.
- Address: 420, Dongbu-daero, Deokjin-gu, Jeonju-si, Jeollabuk-do (전라북도 전주시 덕진구 동부대로 420 전주한옥레일바이크)
- (Seoul→Jeonju): Yongsan Station → Jeonju Station (Adult fare 34,400 won / Travel time approx. 1hr 40min)
- (Jeonju Station→Jeonju Hanok Railbike): Cross the street from Jeonju Station to Jeonju Station Bus Stop. → Take Bus No. 100 and get off at Ajung Station Bus Stop.
- Operating hours: Monday-Friday 09:00-18:00 / Weekends & public holidays 09:00-18:30 (Last ticketing at 18:00)
- Fees: 2-seater bike 20,000 won / 3-seater bike 25,000 won / 4-seater bike 30,000 won (fee is per bike)
- Website: jeonju-railbike.kr (Korean only)
Ride alongside the sea!
If you want to enjoy the vast East Sea up close, we recommend Jeongdongjin Railbike. Unlike the others, the railbikes here are motor-operated. All you have to do is control your pace conveniently using the lever handle after stepping on the pedals upon your departure. The railbike path begins at Jeongdongjin Station and changes directions at the turning point. The light ocean breeze will accompany the riders throughout the entire journey.
- Address: 17, Jeongdongyeok-gil, Gangdong-myeon, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do
(강원도 강릉시 강동면 정동역길 17)
(Seoul→Gangneung): Cheongnyangni Station → Jeongdongjin Station (Adults 21,100 won / approx. 5hr)
Take the Mugunghwa Train to Jeongdongjin Station
- Operating hours: Mar-Oct 09:00-17:00 / Nov-Feb 09:00-16:00 (Departs every hour sharp)
- Fee: 2-seater bike 20,000 won / 4-seater bike 30,000 won (fee is per bike)
- Website: www.sunbike.kr (Korean only)
Samcheok Ocean Railbike is one of the most recommended tour attractions by tourists due to the scenes of the beautiful ocean, refreshing pine trees and dazzling illuminated tunnels along the way. The railroad runs approximately 5.4km between Gungchon Station and Yonghwa Station; it’s up to you where you would like to begin your ride. There is a rest area at the midpoint, where riders can get off and buy light refreshments. The railbikes are equipped with an electric motor which can be used in the upward sloping section, so riders can continue at a steady pace without great effort on their own part.
- Gungchon Station: 2, Gongyangwang-gil, Geundeok-myeon, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
(강원도 삼척시 근덕면 공양왕길2)
- Yonghwa Station: 23, Yonghwahaebyeon-gil, Geundeok-myeon, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
(강원도 삼척시 근덕면 용화해변길23)
- (Seoul→Samcheok): Dong Seoul Bus Terminal → Samcheok Bus Terminal (Adult fare 18,000 won / Travel time approx. 3hrs 20min)
- (Samcheok Bus Terminal→Gungchon Station): Cross the street from Samcheok Bus Terminal to Terminal Bus Stop. → Take Bus No. 24 and get off at Gungchon Bus Stop.
- (Samcheok Bus Terminal →Yonghwa Station): Cross the street from Samcheok Bus Terminal to Terminal Bus Stop. → Take Bus No. 24 and get off at Yonghwa Bus Stop.
- Operating hours
- Gungchon Station: Six departures daily, every hour & 30 min (09:00, 10:30, 13:00, 14:30, 16:00) / Last departure at 17:30 on weekends & public holidays during peak seasons
- Yonghwa Station: Six departures daily, every hour & 30 min (09:00, 10:30, 13:00, 14:30, 16:00) / Last departure at 17:30 on weekends & public holidays during peak seasons
- Closed 2nd & 4th Wednesdays of every month
- Fees: 2-seater bike 20,000 won / 4-seater bike 30,000 won (fee is per bike)
- Website: www.oceanrailbike.com (Korean only)
Yeosu Ocean Railbike is the first railbike in Korea to have its whole section run alongside the ocean. Feel your stress get blown away with the cool ocean breeze while taking in the refreshing sight of the open waters. An automated camera takes photos of passengers during their ride within 200m distance from the departure point; you can purchase your photo at the end of the ride as a memorable souvenir.
- Address: 187, Mangyang-ro, Yeosu-si, Jeollanam-do (전라남도 여수시 망양로 187 여수 레일바이크)
- (Seoul→Jeonju): Yongsan Station → Yeosu Expo Station (KTX adult fare 47,200 won / Travel time approx. 3hrs)
- (Yeosu Expo Station→Yeosu Ocean Railbike): From Yeosu Pension Bus Stop in front of Yeosu Expo Station, take Bus No. 6. Get off at Manseong-ri Army Camp (Ocean Railbike) Bus Stop.
- Operating hours:
- November-February: 10:00-17:00
- March-April 27: 09:00-17:00
- April 28-July 20: 09:00-18:00
- July 21-August 19: 09:00-19:00
- August 20-October 31: 09:00-17:00
* Last boarding 30 min. before closing
- Fees: 2-seater bike 26,000 won / 3-seater bike 31,000 won / 4-seater bike 36,000 won (fee is per bike)
- Website: www.여수레일바이크.com (Korean only)
Thrilling ride over the river!
Gimhae Nakdonggang Rail Park runs on an approximately 3km-long course, including a train bridge crossing over Nakdonggang River. Your excitement will soar with the cooling river breeze felt while on the vintage bridge. Another draw to Gimhae Nakdonggang Rail Park is the nearby wine cave. The Wine Cave is an excellent dating spot with its romantic, luminous lights. It is also equipped with various sculptures and creative trick art for memorable photo opportunities. The cave also has a wine bar inside where visitors can relax and savor the taste of locally made raspberry wine. The wine is sold by the bottle as well, perfect as a souvenir gift!
- Address: Gimhae Nakdonggang Rail Park, 41, Masa-ro 473beon-gil, Saengnim-myeon, Gimhae-si, Gyeongsangnam-do (경상남도 김해시 생림면 마사로473번길 41 김해낙동강레일파크)
- (Seoul→Gimhae): Seoul Station → Samnangjin Station (Adult fare 25,500 won / Travel time approx. 5hrs)
- (Samnangjin Station→Gimhae Nakdonggang Rail Park): Approx. 10min by taxi
- Operating hours
- Railbike: Departs every hour on the hour October-March 09:00-17:00 (last departure 16:00), April-September 09:00-18:00 (last departure 17:00) / Closed Mondays * No departure at 12:00 April-September for safety check
- Wine cave: 09:00-20:00 / Closed Mondays (Closed the following day in the case of a public holiday falling on a Monday)
- Railbike: 2-seater bike 15,000 won / 3-seater bike 19,000 won / 4-seater bike 23,000 won (fee is per bike)
- Wine cave: Adults 2,000 won / Teenagers 1,500 won / Children 1,000 won
- Package (Railbike+wine cave): 2 people 16,000 won / 3 people 20,500 won / 4 people 26,000 won (Only available on weekdays)
- Website: www.ghrp.co.kr (Korean only)
COPYRIGHTS ©KOREA TOURISM ORGANIZATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!