Stunning art installations for inspiration
Stunning art installations for inspiration
After a long time stuck indoors staring at the same four walls, the idea of spending any more time inside can be repulsive, but it doesn’t have to be. At these amazing art installations, you’ll be sad to see the exit. If you’re needing a pick-me-up to get you going, then check out these four art installations in Korea!
Museum SAN, being located atop a mountain, offers both amazing artwork and natural landscape views. The museum starts with the outdoor Flower Garden, passing through a small grove of birch trees before reaching the Water Garden. Along the way, you’ll see many sculptures made by famous artists. Behind the main building is the Stone Garden, decorated with large tumuli-like art pieces, while the café terrace located to the side provides a place to relax while enjoying the mountainous view.
The museum’s main building, designed by famous architect Tadao Ando, is filled with interactive art. In the Paper Gallery, you can learn all about the history of paper, as well as control where ink will drop onto paper through the media art exhibition, “The Breeze.” Be sure to stop by the Triangle Courtyard for simple walls that seem to frame the sky above. The last section of Museum SAN is dedicated to four works by James Turrell. Turrell’s works are simple and yet mesmerizing, focusing entirely on the interchange between light and space. Honestly, you have to experience them directly to understand why they are so special.
- Museum SAN
- Address: 260, Oak valley 2-gil, Wonju-si, Gangwon-do (강원도 원주시 지정면 오크밸리 2길 260)
- Directions: Take a taxi for approx. 25 min from Wonju Express Bus Terminal or Wonju Intercity Bus Terminal / Take a taxi for approx. 20 min from Wonju Station or Manjong Station / Alternately, use Wonju City Tour Bus or Oak Valley Shuttle Bus
* Wonju City Tour Bus: www.museumsan.org
* Oak Valley Shuttle Bus: www.oakvalley.co.kr
- Operating hours: Museum 10:00-18:00 / James Turrell Hall 10:30-17:30 / Meditation Hall 10:25-17:05 (Jan-Feb hours)
* Closed Mondays
- Admission (Museum): Adults 19,000 won / Children 11,000 won / Preschoolers free
* Adults (ages 19 & older) / Children (ages 7-18) / Preschoolers (ages 6 & younger)
* Ticket includes outdoor gardens, Paper Gallery, & Museum
* Refer to website for detailed fares
- Website: www.museumsan.org (Korean, English)
Arte Museum in Jeju is a unique exhibition space that uses projections and mirrors to create unique spaces under the overarching theme “Eternal Nature.” Opened at an old speaker-production factory in October of 2020, the museum offers ten exhibition spaces complete with sounds and scents that pull you deeper into the light displays. After you experience scenery like waterfalls, beaches, and a star-filled night sky at Arte Museum, you’ll never look at nature the same.
Tip) Top 5 photo spots
- WATERFALL: Before the golden waterfall
- BEACH: With the aurora spreading over the shore
- WAVE: Just before the large wave crashes down
- STAR: Surrounded by white starlight
- FLOWER: In the flower-filled garden
- Arte Museum
- Address: 478, Eorimbi-ro, Jeju-si, Jeju-do (제주특별자치도 제주시 애월읍 어림비로 478)
- Operating hours: 10:00-20:00 (Last admission 19:00), Open all year round
- Exhibition: Adults 15,000 won / Teenagers 12,000 won / Children 10,000 won
- Package: Adults 18,000 won / Teenagers 15,000 won / Children 13,000 won
* Adults (ages 19 & older) / Teenagers (ages 13-18) / Children (ages 7-12)
* Package includes use of Arte Tea Bar
* To prevent the spread of COVID-19, admission limited to 200 people at a time
- Website: artemuseum.com (Korean, English, Chinese)
Haslla Art World
There are plenty of amazing attractions in Gangneung, so it’s easy for Haslla Art World to get overlooked, but it’s definitely worth visiting. This aptly named “art world” transports you to various realms through dynamic paintings and sculptures. With just one ticket, you’ll travel from the Abiji Gallery to Modern Art Galleries 1, 2, and 3, through a tunnel, into the experience room, and end in the Pinocchio & Marionette Museum.
After you’ve completed the building exhibitions, scan the barcode on your ticket to get to the outdoor sculpture park. There are so many sculptures and art pieces here, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Take a moment to breathe, look out to the ocean horizon, and then continue exploring all the fantastic photo opportunities.
Tip) Top 5 photo spots
- “Road Walked by Saimdang” exhibition (Modern Art Hall 2)
- Photo spot in Pinocchio Museum
- “The Universe” exhibition (Outdoor Sculpture Park)
- “Tunnel” exhibition (between Modern Art Halls 2 &3)
- Ocean café terrace
- Haslla Art World
- Address: 1441, Yulgok-ro, Gangneung-si, Gangwon-do (강원도 강릉시 강동면 율곡로 1441)
- Operating hours: 09:00-18:00, Open all year round
- Guided tour: Adults 16,000 won / Children 15,000 won
- Admission only: Adults 12,000 won / Children 11,000 won
* Adults (ages 13 & older) / Children (ages 3-12)
* Free: Preschoolers (ages 2 & younger)
* Guided tours conduced in Korean by museum curator
* Guided tours temporarily unavailable to prevent the spread of COVID-19
* Refer to website for museum hotel rates
- Website: www.haslla.kr (Korean only)
Hyundai Premium Outlets - SPACE1
Hyundai Premium Outlets – SPACE1 is Korea’s first gallery-type outlet for people who want to enjoy shopping in an artist environment. The outlet opened in June, 2020, and offers elements of a shopping mall, art gallery, and theme park all rolled into one. The main art installations are the outdoor Cube Square and indoor Jamie Hayon Garden and Mocha Play. Cube Square is located in the center of the shopping mall and features a large red sculpture created with the theme “Festival.” Jaime Hayon Garden was designed by the famous Spanish designer of the same name, and offers interesting sculptures set within nature. Visitors with children will love Moka Play, complete with colorful murals, playground equipment, and the Moka Library, set within a maze.
- Hyundai Premium Outlets – SPACE1
- Address: 50, Dasansunhwan-ro, Namyangju-si, Gyeonggi-do (경기도 남양주시 다산순환로 50)
- Operating hours: Monday-Thursday 10:30-21:00 / Friday-Sunday 10:30-21:00
- Admission: Free
- Website: www.ehyundai.com (Korean, Chinese)
- 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, Malay)
COPYRIGHTS ©KOREA TOURISM ORGANIZATION.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED www.visitkorea.or.kr
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!